Bleach Power
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a bleach rp site that is for fun only.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Got any Ideas

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Atlas
Admin
Atlas

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 1:42 am

So you got any ideas you like for this place? Stuff you liked from the old site? just anything really?
Back to top Go down
https://bleachpower.rpg-board.net
Atlas
Admin
Atlas

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptySun May 01, 2011 5:49 pm

so this is what i have in mind for some things i might want to do on this site.

1. Plot focused on the greek "gods" being released from hell (ie. Atlas + whoever i decide)

2. Have cannon characters plus "gods" as a reward after so many IC posts (this will be my first time having cannon so its gunna be odd)

3. Have a tier based rank system as opposed to levels BUT keep some elements of the stat system to make it more realistic (WIP)

4. Combine the Character n Weapon Template into 1 to decrease registration time.

5. some more things as i think of them
Back to top Go down
Alric Wilmot

Alric Wilmot

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:31 am

Well, if you're sure you want the titan thing, then okay. But I don't really think it's Bleach consistent.

As a side story, I think maybe we could make it to where this is after Aizen's defeat, and Szayel is alive and kicking, using a copy of orihime's powers to ressurect the espada, on Aizen's orders. The goal of the Espada would be to retrieve Aizen.

As Another note, I think Uryu could be training small pockets of quincy around the world. With his own personal vendetta against Mayuri.

The Shinigami could be stretched thin trying to take care of the growing quincy population, which is disrupting the balance. Trying to keep Aizen locked away, and keeping these Titans from escaping hell.

Fullbringers would be the only neutral party, being able to work with any of the factions. Even Arrancar, if they wanted.

Anyway, I'm just throwing ideas around.
Back to top Go down
Atlas
Admin
Atlas

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyMon May 02, 2011 2:46 pm

nice ideas but i'm not really concerned with the plot at the moment. Yea i know its a big issue but i tend to do that last.I'm more concerned with things like the side panels vrs no side panels, what to put in them if so, any rule changes, power system, that kinda thing right now. But i will get to the plot eventually
Back to top Go down
Alric Wilmot

Alric Wilmot

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyMon May 02, 2011 7:24 pm

Oh! well, I'm not much of a layout person. I liked the old site with all the stat's and what not, so... I guess If you need plot ideas I can help with that. I'm more of a writer than anything. Although, you should probably remove the 'Similiar topics' thing. That might divert attention away from the site.
Back to top Go down
Atlas
Admin
Atlas

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyMon May 02, 2011 11:49 pm

yea but their is a reason though that i haven't been adding topics yet. Currently I'm wondering if we should try proboards, marcus got me interested in it but i'm not sure yet. its a working argument. So what do you think, should we try proboards? But anyway i'll come to you with plot ideas.
Back to top Go down
Alric Wilmot

Alric Wilmot

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyTue May 03, 2011 8:04 am

Well, really I only have my opinion on the matter. I'm not a programmer or anything near it. However, I'll still give you my two-cents worth.

I prefer Forummotion. I've been on proboards before, and it was very hard to find specific sections that you wanted. It was a mess, really. However, that could have been the designers fault. But, to me, I like the layout of this site because it's easy to find sub-sections and threads you are specifically looking for.

Maybe this is all moot, and you can make it just as accessible, I have no idea. All I have to go by are my experiences, and according to them, forummotion is better.

Really, though, that probably isn't saying much.
Back to top Go down
Atlas
Admin
Atlas

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyTue May 03, 2011 2:45 pm

my big problem with proboards is that it lacks customization for ME. I can't edit the profile template without a MASSIVE knowledge of proboards structure (witch i don't know). What that means is that i can't add fields for profiles like I did with the stat system where it said "attack" "defense" and "exp". Also the side box's are not as generous as forummotion.
Back to top Go down
Marcus

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyTue May 03, 2011 6:10 pm

I'm tellin ya boss, proboards is the way to go. I'm no good with site coding, but, if you have a general idea of the concept, then it's easy to work from there, and the list of places you can go to get precoded sections and side boxes is limitless. Simply put, proboards is definitely the more flexible host site. And, provided people organize well, it isn't hard to find anything or search the site itself.
Back to top Go down
Alric Wilmot

Alric Wilmot

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyTue May 03, 2011 6:47 pm

Well Marcus, if he isn't familiar with it himself, and you aren't either (coding), shouldn't we stick to something easier to use and better known? More options usually means a bigger learning curve. Also, I doubt we really need that many options. Not to mention, I doubt the site's layout was the main factor in it's downfall.

If anything we should isolate the reason we did die and try to correct that.
Back to top Go down
Marcus

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyTue May 03, 2011 7:00 pm

I don't think you understand what I said Alric.

If you know anything remotely akin to coding, you can work with Proboards easily, and given that it's got limitless options, there's more help sites out there as well as produced product that's able to be freely used. And ever hear the saying "If ya always do what ya always did, you'll always get what you always got"? That's this case. Simply put, Bleach sites don't last long unless they're on a proboards host.

And there's no sole isolation to focus on as to why the site died. I can list a multitude of reasons as to why it did and, in that, easy ways to fix those gaps. One of those is indeed, primarily a bad host site. Proboards is actually the leading host site for all RP forums, and is therefore, better known.

Also, more features rarely means a bigger learning curve Alric, due to the simple fact that, the more features, the more popular, the more popular, the more help sites and easier it is to actually work with.
Back to top Go down
Alric Wilmot

Alric Wilmot

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyTue May 03, 2011 7:20 pm

But that's just it Marcus, No one here knows coding. And how is forummotion a bad host site? Also, I don't think you understood what I meant when I said better known. I did not mean popular, i meant how to use it. We do not know how to customize proboards. And yes I've heard of that saying. However, as you said there is no isolated problem. Would you kindly explain, beside unnecessary features, how proboards would keep us from dying? Wouldn't it take more time to familiarize yourself with all the different features? And I'm afraid I don't quite understand...

"more features rarely means a bigger learning curve Alric, due to the simple fact that, the more features,(this is the link I'm having trouble understanding) the more popular, the more popular, the more help sites and easier it is to actually work with."

Back to top Go down
Marcus

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyTue May 03, 2011 8:52 pm

It means exactly what I said Alric. Maybe try re-reading again?

A popular product means that there is more customizable and easy to use features to it because so many have done so already. As for none of us knowing the basics of running and working Proboards, you're wrong there mate, I have experience with the basic coding points on Proboards, or have you forgotten that I ran, owned, and co-admined/modded on several sites before this. Proboards coding works solely from headers and footers, you can customize each and every piece of it simply by inserting your own coding, it's a simple concept, and so long as you know either bbc or html (which both Escher and Alaina have some general experience in) then that much is easy to work with and you can do literally anything you like with it, all you have to do is get the resources. And the admin panel is MUCH easier to work with than forumotion. That's coming from personal experience.

And I already explained as to how proboards host site could help to make the site more user attractive. More RPers use proboards, and any Bleach RP site worth its metal uses proboards. So, to transition to an entirely different host site is a hassle for those individuals, as they have to relearn a whole different user interface. That, and forumotion's general backdrop and display functions look like garbage. That's not an admin error, that's just the simple fact that the host site is trash.
Back to top Go down
Alric Wilmot

Alric Wilmot

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyTue May 03, 2011 10:02 pm

Sorry but I didn't read the rest of your post. I stopped after "I have experience with the basic coding points on Proboards" that's really all you needed to say. You see I was under the impression that you did not know how to code. This assumption was made when you wrote "I'm no good with site coding"

However, if you are competent in coding then by all means, move to proboards. And there is no reason to be so uppity all the time. You come across as a negative person, when in actuality you're quite a good person.
Back to top Go down
Marcus

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyTue May 03, 2011 10:10 pm

If I come across as uppity then you're actively trying to make an assumption of a character trait that doesn't exist without any sort of basis for reason. So, Alric, I'll recommend you not make a generalization/assumption as to who I am or am not unless you have a legitimate cause or reason.
Back to top Go down
Alric Wilmot

Alric Wilmot

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyTue May 03, 2011 10:33 pm

Neutral

...Okay. Well then I'll leave you and Atlas/Escher to discuss your ideas.
Back to top Go down
Atlas
Admin
Atlas

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyTue May 03, 2011 10:36 pm

Marcus wrote:

Proboards coding works solely from headers and footers, you can customize each and every piece of it simply by inserting your own coding, it's a simple concept, and so long as you know either bbc or html (which both Escher and Alaina have some general experience in) then that much is easy to work with and you can do literally anything you like with it, all you have to do is get the resources.

I don't really like the header/footer concept. It requires MUCH more code than forumotion to run correctly. I also don't know the code locations (what the ID's in the code are) to really make my own. Also i have checked some support forums for proboards (when i was helping out gore make his site) and i didn't get as nearly as much open source code as forumotion.

Marcus wrote:
And the admin panel is MUCH easier to work with than forumotion. That's coming from personal experience.

I strongly disagree with this marcus. the interface of forumotion is MUCH friendlier than proboards. For example every time you change something it brings you BACK to the starting admin panel and NOT the page you were editing. Now it does LOOK simpler because its all on one page but the editing and everything takes twice as long with proboards.

Marcus wrote:
So, to transition to an entirely different host site is a hassle for those individuals, as they have to relearn a whole different user interface.

I DO agree with this though. On gores site we had to switch to forumotion and everyone was a proboards person and they had absolutely NO idea how to work the system. It took them about a week to learn the system.
Back to top Go down
Marcus

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyWed May 04, 2011 1:45 am

My man I'm gonna argue. The coding requirements for proboards are as simple as they come in regards to base html work. A simple text and drop subject. All you have to do is edit images (which there are displayed areas in the admin panel to do so) to replace images and the like for buttons. The complexity of proboards doesn't happen until you try to make ridiculously crazy custom layouts to the degree that sites like BSRP have done.

And my experience says that proboards is easier all because of this. Forumotion is, like I said, garbage in my opinion. It's too messy and wonky to work with.
Back to top Go down
Atlas
Admin
Atlas

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyWed May 04, 2011 2:40 am

for basic work, yes proboards is just as good as forumotion but i wouldn't say its better. I think the support team for forumotion is better though when it comes to custom codes and the like (which is what i was talking about before).

here are my big problems with proboards and why i think forumotion is better

1. when i was changing images i didnt know what it was exactly i was changing. It just shows the image and NOT what they are called next to a field for you to edit. Its garbage in my opinion.

2. Banner does NOT link back to the home page.

3. every time you edit something your brought back to the main section (wither it be profile or admin)

4. no working codes known to add fields to the mini-profile

5. the chat box (or should i say "room") is horrible compared to forumotions.

those are just my top 5, I'm sure to think of more though XD. Prove to me that these can be fixed and we will move at once XD. Otherwise I'll be reluctant and keep asking questions.
Back to top Go down
Marcus

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyWed May 04, 2011 6:53 pm

All of those are actually fixable mate, you just have to edit the general coding/add coding into the global footers. The banner is as simple as a [*url=home page link][*img]image link here[/img][/url]

And the images are all labeled by their respective fields, not sure what you're looking at if it says otherwise mate.

And the point of an auto return is so that you can immediately view the changes as well bud. Thus the benefit, your qualm doesn't seem much of a concern as it does an opinion. Just sayin =/

Why would you need to even bother editing the fields in the profile? What? To add player stats? That's utterly pointless, but that's a measure I planned on speaking with you via pms anyway

It's also called a custom c-box, you just get a basic coding, space it properly, and add it to the global footers.
Back to top Go down
Alric Wilmot

Alric Wilmot

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyWed May 04, 2011 7:42 pm

Before you make a switch, may I just say that I really like this black and yellow color scheme? I'd like it if you kept it. It seems more attractive to the eyes than the blue that we had.

~p.s. I'm slightly color blind, so forgive me if this is actually green.
Back to top Go down
Atlas
Admin
Atlas

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyThu May 05, 2011 3:29 am

Marcus wrote:
All of those are actually fixable mate, you just have to edit the general coding/add coding into the global footers. The banner is as simple as a [*url=home page link][*img]image link here[/img][/url]

don't understand this one but I'll go with you knowing what your doing here

Marcus wrote:

And the images are all labeled by their respective fields, not sure what you're looking at if it says otherwise mate.

well here is where the list is. Mind you though that as an original, unaltered state it DOES say what they are but if you change it then your lost forever unless you remember exactly what whichever one does.

forumtitle.proboards.com*/index.cgi?action=boardimages*

Marcus wrote:

And the point of an auto return is so that you can immediately view the changes as well bud. Thus the benefit, your qualm doesn't seem much of a concern as it does an opinion. Just sayin =/

yea this isn't really a concern but it is something that bothers me when i'm working on it. I still think it might be easier to VIEW your changes but it takes longer to correct them. Like say you didn't add in the right url to an image. You would have to go through about 4 extra pages just to fix it whereas forumotion stays on the same page.

Marcus wrote:

Why would you need to even bother editing the fields in the profile? What? To add player stats? That's utterly pointless, but that's a measure I planned on speaking with you via pms anyway

Well I like having extra fields for things like rank,titles, tiers or whatnot. Not just for "Stats". Extra fields are very handy mate.

Marcus wrote:

It's also called a custom c-box, you just get a basic coding, space it properly, and add it to the global footers.

Its not much a placement thing as it is a compete disappointment. I mean it doesn't update color-wise with your site, you have to do that manually (as well as space it properly like you said)
. It doesn't match your username with your account so anyone could pose as anyone. All the outside source codes for CB's look pathetic to say the least and it draws a massive amount of attention to itself. Its just garbage.

Alric Wilmot wrote:

Before you make a switch, may I just say that I really like this black and yellow color scheme? I'd like it if you kept it. It seems more attractive to the eyes than the blue that we had.

Yea we can keep the current skin. It just might take some converting time.(it is yellow btw).

On a different note we need to come up with a firm name for the site since unlike forumotion, proboards charges you to change the url. I'm not paying 10 bucks because we couldn't make up our minds. So lets come up wit some url and site names. Personally i think forbiddengates was a bad name simple because I think people saw it and went "ok after the main plots over, then what r u gunna do?" here are a few names I like for the new place. When you have ideas keep it generally basic so we can come up with another plot if we get done with the current one.

souls of war

bleach animosity

eternal strife

(for pure fun) bleach entire site transfer or bestbleachsite.proboards.com (yes its untaken XD)

*tired and forgot the others, will finish in the morning*
Back to top Go down
Alric Wilmot

Alric Wilmot

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:05 am

I believe that Eternal Strife is the best name out of these. However, "bestbleachsite" might give us more traffic. As when new people search for a Bleach themed RP they usually type a variation of "best bleach rp forum" so, I guess we'll have to choose between a name that will be picked up in the search engines or a name that sounds cool.

Back to top Go down
Atlas
Admin
Atlas

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:12 am

like i said i like them all so i'm good with eternal strife. with the B.E.S.T. site though we can call it whatever we want as long as it has the b,e,s,t. I just didn't come up with anything snappy last night when i posted XD
Back to top Go down
Marcus

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas EmptyFri May 06, 2011 12:24 am

Ah, you're talking about custom HTML c-boxes then. Those things by nature are garbage, much like the c-box this site has. I'd recommend using something like chatango, especially given it's general workability, anyone lacking in knowledge of html can work and build one.

As for "losing", there's your problem right there. You're completely ignoring Rule NUMBER ONE for writing/making sites or coding. ALWAYS back up the original text and coding in a word or notepad document so you can easily go back and fix anything wrong.

For ranks/tiers or whatever and what not. Those fields are actually already available in Proboards by default. They're called custom titles, and you can easily restrict their modification to a given staff level.

Also, as a note, I highly recommend not doing things like trying to add in tier levels to a user's profile page. It would be much easier and more organized for us to keep all of an individual's characters limited to a single account. Then they can do their own work and post their character list in their signature field. Easy fix right there, and we don't even have to bother with coding. Really man, I'm not seeing any issues.

As for the way of increasing traffic by using a url like "bestbleach[whatever else here]", if anything, that's going to damage our traffic. It's common sense tactics in the mind of the member. Who goes to a site that calls itself the best? It's an unoriginal advertising scheme we hear everyday, therefore, we aren't phased by it. Simply keeping a URL prevalent to our actual site name would do us better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Got any Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got any Ideas   Got any Ideas Empty

Back to top Go down

Got any Ideas
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bleach Power :: Site Information :: Announcements-
Jump to: